The safety standard Certificate is composed by three copies designated:
- “MTO copy” (to be surrendered to a license issuer at the moment of the transfer)
- “Purchaser’s copy” A yellow carbon copy (for the vehicle purchasers personal records).
- A copy which remain in the “Mechanics book” for his records.
You need this certificate when you:
- Register a rebuilt motor vehicle
- Transfer a used motor vehicle to a new owner as fit
- Register a motor vehicle in Ontario that was previously registered in another province or country
- Change the status of a vehicle from unfit to fit
Vehicles are considered unfit when they do not meet the minimum basic safety standards to drive on Ontario roads